The BOC project used the term ‘early leavers’ to describe former students who left university before completing their intended qualification at the point of matriculation.
Early leavers within the project scope are:
- From full-time, undergraduate level courses.
- From any year of study, withdrawn from the institution in current academic year, without completing their intended qualification (this includes honours students leaving with an ordinary degree).
- UK-domiciled leavers of Scottish universities and Scottish-domiciled leavers of universities in England, Northern Ireland and Wales.
- ‘Active leavers’ who have withdrawn, or have been withdrawn from study; not current students.
- ‘Passive leavers’, identified at the HEI’s discretion i.e. a registered student who has not formally withdrawn, but has been absent from university for a significant period of time.